Tuesday, April 24, 2007

running on empty

My apologies for not posting recently. Work has started to kick in to gear and a lot of us animators are furiously scurrying around, following the scents on the ground to our destinations. I hope that we don't come across any more of that deadly fungus. Tom was messing around by the big pile of leaves next to the clover field the other day and disappeared. A day later he stumbled back and was acting all weird. I asked him if he was okay, but he just blinked at me with these blank eyes and walked away. I heard that later that day he climbed up a blade of grass and his head exploded. shudder...

So, anyway, I've just finished my second shot of the film and have been handed a 500 frame doozey that'll be taking up my time for the next three or four weeks. I'll try to post some more for all you faithful readers out there. Until then,

eye candy:
Thank You for Smoking ** - I didn't find it funny or enjoyable. A letdown from a decently mediocre cast.
Ray ** - It's overly dramatic standard music docudrama stuff. Nothing new here, but good if you're in the mood. Personally, I'd skip it and watch Walk the Line instead.
Fast, Cheap, and out of Control ** - There's no real point to this documentary, and the editing is contrived.
Face/Off ** - for some reason abdo digs this flic...
The Hurricane *** - See review for "Ray" above and substitute the word "music" for "boxing". A bit more original, tho.
Yi-Yi ***** - Beautifully shot, acted, and directed. This quiet family portrait of a film is well worth the time.
The Gift *** - It was fun to watch a whateva' thriller at work.

2 comments:

Coffinwood said...

You are nuts.

How can you say there is no point to Fast, Cheap, and Out of control? Not only is there a point, but a profound one. It’s about passion, its about courage, it’s about artistry, its about the direction of man kind. And the Philip Glass score… enchanting.

Face Off. I can only explain this film in list form. Like a formula, or a recipe.
An awesome Chinese director who comes to the U.S. and trades in gritty cop films for bizarre sci-fi concepts.
Insane over acting.
Action sequences that get so over the top they end with bare foot water skiing.
Travolta mocking Cages “crazy eye” acting style.
Cage mocking Travolta’s “sincere” acting style.
The only scientists who know the truth are burned alive.
Replacing a murdered son with the son of a psychopath.
Mortal enemies looking at each other (thru a mirror) looking at themselves.
Doves in slow motion.
FACE – OFF

It’s like flubber. You’re trying to make something, throw all this crap into the pot and then wham. You get this crazy thing that’s a 180-minute B movie act of genius.

I demand you watch these films again, and write new reviews.

royce said...

i watched them again and here's my new reviews.

Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control- Still fast, still cheap, and still filled with crap-in-my-pants half-thought out editing.

Face/Off- Yeah... For me, it still goes beyond b-movie rediculous action fun and in to just pure crap in my pants.

I hope you're happy that you wasted 4 hours of my extremely valuable animating time.